Taumarunui Canoe & Jet Tours
Welcome to the River
Your Whanganui River Canoe Adventure starts right here, with us....
Address: 292 Hikumutu Road, Taumarunui 3992
AS WHANGANUI RIVER CANOE & JET BOAT OPERATORS, we provide canoe and kayak hire, along with exhilarating jet boat tours. Take a trip through the many exciting rapids and lush native bush with some of the best scenic landscaping in the world, all found right here on the incredible Whanganui River.
Phone NZ (freephone): 0800 226 6348
Mobile: +64 27 2266348 and WhatsApp
Overseas: +64 7 895 7483
We have no *booking fees* for the $100 deposit, the rest is payable 2 days before you arrive for your journey. If, for any reason, you cancel your journey within 48 hours from start day, you get your full amount back. By just paying the deposit you dont have any booking system fees. We will contact you if the date you have asked for is not available.
What is included in your Whanganui River Journey with us:
We start with a low price for our tours; if you want to be more upmarket and have accommodation etc., then we can add that on for you. This way, you know that you can utilize all our free options if you are on a stricter budget.
- Transport to and from the river* (Taumarunui, Ohinepane, Whakahoro, Pipiriki)
- Canoe (2p) or Kayak (1p)
- Waterproof Barrels
- Life Jackets
- Comprehensive Maps with hazards and photos of campsites
- Paddles (spare paddle)
- Comprehensive Safety Briefing in-person and video of the hazards
- Free Camping before your journey with a boat ramp onsite
- WiFi in the campsite
- Outside Bush Shower and Toilets (New Shower Block coming Dec 2023)
- Complimentary Barista coffee on the morning of your journey along with a treat
- On the water paddle briefing and practice before you leave
- Home Baking and juice at Pickup for multi-day journeys. (Council Certified Baking)
- We can set up a Department of Conservation account for you to do your campsite bookings
- Also we can book the private campsites with you no fees
- Vehicle storage at our Base
- Backpack and suitcase storage
- We can bring your backpacks and suitcases to the pickup point if you want to get out at Pipiriki, Raetihi, or National Park
- Free Drop off at Raetihi (Intercity Bus) National Park or Taumarunui
Why choose us for your Whanganui River Adventure?
- We have been in the Tourism Business since 1999
- Local family owned and operated
- We love what we do and want to share our experiences with you
- We only take a $100 deposit which is fully refundable within 48 hours of your journey; the rest is payable before your journey.
- Based in Taumarunui town with an exclusive riverside location and boat ramp
- Free camping is available before and after, with incredible river views
- Shower and Toilets
- Onsite accommodation, basic and upmarket.
- Private Accommodation where we won't ask you to share with another group
- Full safety briefing and on-the-water training for every trip
- All Great Walk transport is included
- Great reviews on Trip Advisor, Google and Te Araroa apps
- Silver Qualmark for Canoes and Jet Boats
- Experienced and friendly staff
- Free car parking on-site
- Youth are only charged as Adults once they turn 18 years old
- Two jet boats available for tours and safety rescues
- Free Wi-Fi on the Campsite
- We can store your backpacks and bikes while on the river and bring them to you in Pipiriki
- Top-quality modern equipment available for hire
- Alternative private campsite options instead of DOC
- Bike hire from Pipiriki to Whanganui
- Council-registered for catering
- We are family-owned and oriented and often have pet animals for everyone to feed and enjoy
*Transport to and from the Whanganui River Journey is included in the price. The only place we don't pick up from is Whanganui.
Please note: We do not hire to solo travelers paddling alone. The river is simply not safe for you to be paddling the river alone. If there is an odd number in your group this does not apply.
Get a taster of what you can expect on your Whanganui River Journey.
We provide training and accurate information on canoeing and kayaking the Whanganui River Journey, have top-quality modern equipment available for hire, and most importantly we deliver an experienced professional and personalised service.
You will receive waterproof barrels for carrying your gear, life jackets, maps, and our canoes are some of the newest on the river. Every year we put around 20 brand new boats onto the river.
All you need to bring is your camping gear and food, and we have a full range of modern and high-quality camping gear for hire if you forgot something or need anything extra. If we do not have the gear on hand, we live on-site and have been known to raid our home to get what you need).
You can also hire our bikes and we will bring the bikes to Pipiriki so you can continue your journey to Whanganui by bike so you don't have to paddle the whole way.
At the start of your trip we give you a thorough safety briefing and video presentation at our office to demonstrate paddling techniques, river reading skills, hazards to look out for and how to deal with them, and the campsites you will be staying in. We follow up with on-the-water training to fully prepare you for your journey. We understand that most of our customers have never canoed or kayaked before, but after our safety briefing and training, we find that they thoroughly enjoy their Whanganui River journey and find it well within their capabilities.
We are a Silver Qualmark-endorsed Whanganui River canoe and jet boat operator based at the beginning of the river. We also operate a rescue and emergency jet boat service along the first few days of the river. If you are paddling with us and require an emergency rescue, the rescue fee is discounted.
Everyone can enjoy one of our Whanganui River trips, including families, large groups, corporate bookings, and all levels of paddling experience. Your safety, comfort, and enjoyment are our main priority. If you have children or would like a really relaxed journey, ask us about adding an extra day to your trip.
Most of the time we run multiple buses and vans for a fast pickup at the Pipiriki boat ramp and have them ready to leave so you don’t have to wait around when you reach the boat ramp. If we have 40 or more people pickup you may get to have luxury in our large Coach.
The river is unpredictable and can go into flood overnight: it is much easier to refund your deposit than the full payment should your trip be cancelled or postponed.
Our base is close to Taumarunui, perched up on a hill overlooking the Whanganui River, Taumarunui township and Mount Hikurangi. Our emphasis is on relaxation and fun, all in a special, unique setting.
Our business relies on us working together as a close-knit family to make your holiday as enjoyable as we can, and you will be welcomed as part of the family from the moment you arrive.
We have free camping with free Wi-Fi and shower, also there is barista coffee to enjoy during your morning safety briefing. When you finish your multi-day journey we will welcome and congratulate you at the boat ramp with home baking and a drink.
You are welcome to hire one of our well-appointed guest accommodation units. You are also invited to park your campervan on our beautiful, grassed camping area overlooking the Whanganui River for free at the start and end of your river journey.